Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Not If, Not When... but ALWAYS

When was the last time you heard the phrase, "It's not a matter of if; it's a matter of when"? Many people live in an "if" world. We all know people like that. "If it happens, then I will…." But, as Radio Amateurs we have crossed over from the, "If it happens" to the, "When it happens" perspective. Most of us have reached the conclusion that "it" is going to happen… the question is not "if" if will happen, but "when" it will happen. We have prepared for the inevitable "when".

However, I would suggest that we should take it one step further. It is not a matter of if… it is not even a matter of when… it is, or it should be, a matter of "always". Many times in the last two years, during routine NTS training, while I thought I was operating under a "when" mindset, I discovered that I was not living in the "always" reality. What I have discovered is that failure and chaos are an ever present reality. And… all it takes is a moment of laziness… of complacency… of ignorance… and I find myself humbled.

Electricity is a wild and ugly beast that we Amateurs have only barely
contained. And… in my case: poorly contained. (Some other time I will tell you about Field Day 2011; my mobile rig took a direct lighting strike!!!) Every time I sit down in my shack Sparky, the beast, and all of his band of rabid hyenas, which include Amplitude, Modulation, and their ugly cousin, Que R. Nancy are ready, and all too often willing, to pounce. I have had to adjust to the living reality that in my shack it is not a matter of when the beast will attack, but rather, the beast is always biting me in the backside.

Any night, as I shut down the radio, extinguish the kerosene heater, and turn off the lights… if I escape without bite marks, it is a victory. It is not because "when" didn't happen. It is not because the beast wasn't trying to ruin my evening. It is simply because for that one evening I played the game better than the beast. Make no mistake about it however, I am not living under any pretense or illusion that the very next night when I once again enter the arena (read: shack), that I will not have to face the beast again. He will be waiting for me. To bite me… to assault me. To test me.

Radio work is not a "certainty". Radio work is "chance"… and as for me, this is one of my fondest attractions to this hobby. I get a chance every time I press the PTT to defeat the beast. To fight back. To WIN!!!!

So… To the beast:

Sleep well for now, my worthy opponent. But know this: I will not go down without a fight. I am not waiting for "when" you will attack. I will assume you are "always" attacking, and guess what? I am "always" ready for you… or perhaps better said, I am learning to be "always" be ready for your ever present willingness and capability to ruin my night. I am learning… and I have help.

No comments:

Post a Comment